Dream BIG, for we have a BIG GOD!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Truth > Lie

"Hurt me with the truth, but never comfort me with a lie."



This has been something that I have really had to learn in my life. Ever since I can remember, I have been veryyyy much a people person. I love being around people, I love making them happy. I am all about keeping the peace. The problem with that is that sometimes I am willing to go to such lengths that I lie to them in order to keep from hurting, disappointing, or angering. Is it really worth it though?
I do not think that anyone in their right mind could say that they appreciate being lied to. Even if you think you are doing that person a favor... really, you are misleading them and taking their trust in you for granted. 
Another quote, related to the first:


"The worst thing about being lied to is knowing you weren't worth the truth."


As hard as it is to apply to certain situations in life, the truth should always trump a lie. Thinking back on situations in my own life, even times where I thought a lie would be easier to deal with, it never did anything for the person I lied to, or myself. It ended up bringing more hurt and distrust than anything else. It can be very difficult at times to bring the whole truth to the table, but ultimately, it's the best option. It keeps the relationship between you and another strong, and it keeps you honest. 
Someone that I am honest with might get upset with me for telling them how I feel... But think about how it would feel if I told you what you wanted to hear, then you found out I was lying about it. Not only would you feel hurt that I didn't think you deserved the truth... but the next time I said something to you, chances are you wouldn't find me credible. 


This is still such a work in progress for me, and when I am faced with a situation in which I must choose if I should be less-than-honest, I must always remember that no one deserves a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment