This week I started my student teaching at an elementary school in Xenia. The week has mostly been full of laughs and silly questions from students... but yesterday, something happened. I met a certain second grader. He is one of the most special little boys that I have ever met, and I can already tell that he is going to have a major impact on me this semester.
I'm not certain what has placed him in the disabled state that he lives with, but this little boy is not able to walk or move much beyond his hands and head. This little second grader gets from place to place with the help of an aide. And yesterday was music day for his class.
There are steps leading up to the music classroom. As the other students filed in, he called out to us, "don't worry! I'm on my way!" as his aide pulled his wheelchair up over the steps. As she wheeled him into the classroom, the most beautiful, wide smile appeared on his face. He greeted us with a cheerful tone.
Since next week is Valentines Day, we listened to some music for the holiday. The music came on, and he sat there and moved his little body in any way he possibly could, grooving to that music. The smile never left his face the entire class. When students were called up to play the special instruments, he couldn't. But he clapped and showed excitement for them as they got to try. When class was done and all the other students had left, he and his aide made their way to the stairs. He gave us a goodbye, a smile, and a high five. And then they were off.
After he left, I thought to myself, "how would I react to everyday life if I were in a wheelchair. How would I react to life if I knew that's where I was going to stay and couldn't participate in activities that we take for granted each day?" This little boy could easily have a bad attitude or a sad outlook on life, and we would all let him get away with that and say "well, I don't blame him. Look at his condition." But he has not chosen that route! Here is a little boy who has a priceless personality despite the trials that have come into his life. SIt sure makes me ashamed at how little trivial problems in my life have the ability to ruin my whole attitude on certain days.
I am so excited to work with this child throughout the semester. I have a feeling that he has just started teaching me. I'm thankful to God for putting people in our lives to teach us that we would never suspect.
No comments:
Post a Comment