I've realized something about myself.
I've always known that I am a people-pleaser. Nothing makes me more happy than when my relationships with those around me are stable and flourishing. I am willing to go to great lengths to ensure that those around me are happy.
What I have realized lately though, is that I take this a step beyond. I base how those around me act toward me in order to determine my own worth. If I am able to make people around me happy, than I must be a halfway-decent individual. If it seems like someone is upset with me, I feel like my world is crashing down.
But then, I've also realized something else.
There are people in my life who I can never, ever seem to please. There are people who don't seem to give a care about me or anything to do with my life. And these are the people that consistently govern my view of my personal worth. I have trouble seeing myself as those who love me see me because I am too hung up on wondering why I don't feel good enough for certain people.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent, Krista Marie Wiles.
I hate to totally rid myself of a relationship with someone, but if someone is consistently hurting me and bringing me down, I have decided that I am going to free myself from that relationship.
As for other situations, I need to stop basing my own self-worth on if someone seems annoyed or upset with me. There are so many people that love me, and I need to find more joy and take compliments instead of wallow in feeling "not good enough".
I am precious in God's sight and in the sight of my loved ones. I can find comfort in that.
No comments:
Post a Comment